Jan 29, 2014 2A dynamic and insightful speaker, Jeff Bush is known for his unique ability to decode difficult and confusing tax and fiscal information coming out of Washington. Jeff is a colleague of Andy Friedman and an integral part of The Washington Update, the industry thought leader that guides domestic clients through the complex and ever-changing political […]
As 2017 drew to a close, Congress passed the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, tax reform legislation that made sweeping changes to the Internal Revenue Code. When Congress last reformed the tax code in 1986, the legislative process took over two years. This time Congress accomplished the same feat in two months. This white paper discusses the portions of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act that are of particular importance to business owners, investors, and financial advisors. We point out situations that are likely to fare better and those likely to fare worse under the legislation. At the end, we present a chart of “winners and losers” that takes into account these individual situations. The chart also shows business and economic sectors particularly likely to be affected by these tax changes, thereby potentially altering their equity valuations.
Andy shares w/@ThinkAdvisor our tax planning insights around the interplay between the increased standard deduction vs. itemized deductions, including those involving 1. State & local tax cap 2. Mortgage int. ded. 3. Charitable ded. 4. Medical expense ded. ow.ly/vJGR30j6C6T
China stands ready to raise tariffs on imported goods from the U.S. if we continue pursuing tariffs on their goods. They go on to say they are not afraid of a trade war. ow.ly/zToY30j7qoJ
Chinese tariff announcement, and concerns of a trade war, sends stocks sizably lower. We advised clients since December of 2016 this would happen with tariff actions. Losses amplified by tech. ow.ly/cU0E30j6BPn ow.ly/AZx130j6BXy
This is wonky, but it's a fascinating read re the likelihood of one to actually vote. ow.ly/ZJZd30j5ZDk I explain odds this way, say a candidate has a 80% likelihood of winning. What if you had a car accident 2 days out of 10? 20% starts to sound more possible & probable!